[Asterisk-Users] Intel 537ep

Jeremy Hall jeremyhall at mpccorp.com
Mon Apr 26 07:41:05 MST 2004

Jeremy,

I didn't want to get this part of the modem discussion started again.  I
know many people are against using anything except for true Digium
hardware, and for good reason.  Digium definitely deserves everyone's
support.  Mark and Co. have done a great service to the community, and
just keep on giving.  However, I feel that the more people using
Asterisk, the better.  Those people will grow in knowledge, and when
they need T1 cards, FXS cards, IAXys, and X100Ps they will go to Digium
to get it.  But if they get shunned away from Asterisk because they got
flamed for trying to use a cheaper card to see if they like the system,
they will go to other providers in the long run.

In my specific case, I can't yet justify and afford a $100 telephony
card for my hobby/test system at home.  I have other priorities that
come first.  But since I decided to use the modem instead, I am saving
to buy a TDM400 or an IAXy instead and have a system with even more
features.  Since I have a working system now, I have a lot better of a
chance of getting my wife to let me expand it, too.  :-)  "I want to buy
this $100 card to see if I can get something working" just doesn't fly.

I have been looking through the source code in several places looking to
fix an issue I am having with my modem (yes I admit they aren't perfect)
and have submitted a patch to Mantis already for an unrelated bug.  I
realize it is very minor, but that is just the start.  In my opinion,
skimping on the initial hardware allows me to make more community
contributions, which in the long run will be worth more to Digium than
the $100 that they didn't originally receive.

Keep in mind I am talking about a hobby/home system.  Would I use an
el-cheapo card in a production environment?  Absolutely not.  The
support and hardware reliability that comes with the Digium product is
well worth the price.  I do a lot of independent PC related consulting
for businesses, and when I get familiar enough with Asterisk, I will be
adding Asterisk VOIP solutions to my bids.  When I have had small PBX
requests in the past, I have gone with Panasonic hybrid systems, because
that is what I am familiar with.  How many cards will I "sell" for
Digium now?  Even I can't answer that question, but the potential is a
lot higher now than before I bought that cheap modem.

Please keep in mind, Jeremy, this is not intended as a flame towards
you, or any other list member.  I have a _lot_ of respect for you and
the contributions you make to this community.  You know what you are
doing, which is highly evident when looking at how well Nufone works.
You are always quick to lend a hand with issues in the IRC channel.  My
only request is to be honest with people about how the Intel 537 modems
work.  Simply put, they do work.  As I said, they aren't perfect, but as
long as when the question is asked, peoples' expectations are set
correctly, it will not hurt Digium's reputation.

I have spoken with several others off-list and in the IRC channel that
use these modems, or the "OEM Clone" cards that are sold on eBay.  Those
clones are just re-branded modems from what purchasers have told me.
Every one of them I have spoken with says they work great.  Each of them
has the same attitude as I do: Use them for test/experimental systems
but use the real thing for important systems.

I've ended up making a larger message than I intended, so I'll stop
here.  I just want to ask in closing that if you have some useful
information to add, please by all means do so.  But if it is just a
political statement, please just bite your tongue and let the discussion
remain on a technical nature.  If you wish to continue this side of the
discussion, I ask that you reply directly to me off list.  I have no
problem debating and discussing it with you, but I don't want to spam
the list with it.

Have a great day,

(the other) Jeremy