[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940/7960 SIP functionality questions

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Sun Apr 25 20:13:48 MST 2004

Paul Tyreman wrote:

> I have just bought a Cisco 7960, but haven't connected it up yet.
>
> I've also just bought a second X100P card, which I want to use on my second
> line.
>
> The question I have is, can I use two of the buttons on the Cisco phone to
> specify what line the Asterisk server uses to call out on ?  If so, how
> would I go about doing that ?
>
> Also, is it possible to assign multiple extension numbers to a single Cisco
> phone, using these buttons ?
>
> Thanks, Paul.

The answer to your questions is YES/YES

To have the cisco dial out a different line based on which indication
you press on the 7960, you would do the following:

Set up two entries in sip.conf like so:

[100]
callerid=Your Name <NPANXXXXXX>
type=friend
username=100
secret=yourpassword
host=dynamic
mailbox=100
context=100-dial
canreinvite=no
dtmfmode=rfc2833
nat=yes

[101]
callerid=Your Name <NPANXXXXXX>
type=friend
username=101
secret=yourpassword
host=dynamic
mailbox=101
context=101-dial
canreinvite=no
dtmfmode=rfc2833
nat=yes

Then, in extensions.conf, you create the two contexts [100-dial] and
[101-dial] and do whatever you want specific to each.

As far as Asterisk is concerned, the two indications on the 7960 are two
different users.

John