[Asterisk-Users] call initiation

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Apr 23 12:53:19 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 14:39, Roger wrote:
> Users withing the office can dial a 3 digit extension and that will ring
> a phone.  The problem I'm running into is you have to press xxx then
> press 'send or 'dial'.  The pbx doesn't recognize a 3 digit number as an
> internal extension and automatically dial it the user has to initiate
> that call.  Asterisk automatically initiates calls w/ 9+7 digits and LD
> calls, 9+1+areacode+number.
>
> How would you tell the PBX try an extension once and 3 digits have been
> pressed.  The exception being 9 as that gives a outside line.

I'm assuming you mean asterisk when you say pbx, and I am assuming you
mean SIP phones from the 'send' or 'dial' comment.

This sounds like a problem with the dialplan in the individual phones.
So depending on what kind of phone you have, you will have to configure
it differently.

Even if this is an asterisk thing, it would be in your dialplan. You
have configured it to match the longer sequences, but not the shorter
ones.