[Asterisk-Users] Extension buttons

Anon asterisk_user at tarottoni.com
Thu Apr 22 19:23:11 MST 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 12:33 am, David Krider wrote:
> I've downloaded the entire archive of articles and searched through them
> for an answer on this, but I haven't come across one yet. I'm looking to
> replace a small phone system in my church with Asterisk, and I'm stuck
> looking for phones. I know that the staff are going to want a button for
> their commonly-called extensions, but I'm having trouble finding phones
> that have, say, 10 programmable buttons for this sort of thing. I'm left
> to conclude that most phones can do this sort of thing by clicking
> through some combination of buttons. However, it would seem that the
> average price for a nice SIP phone eliminates the possibility of just
> ordering some to find out. Can someone please tell me how this is
> handled in general? For instance, the Polycom 600 doesn't seem to have
> ANY buttons that can be programmed for particular extensions

Not correct - The Polycom SoundPoint IP 600 has 6 buttons on the upper left
hand side that can be programmed for "particular extensions" and speed-dial
entries.  It also has the ability to support 6 lines, and has extensive
directory support.  And, strangely, ALL the buttons on the phone can be
reprogrammed.  Keep in mind this phone uses context-sensitive soft-keys, so
it offers much more ability and functionality than can be seen in a low
resolution photo on the web.  It may suprise you to know that the soft-key
implementation is very well done: intuitive, logical, efficient, and easy to
use.  (Polycom should pay me for posting this  ;)

Anon