[Asterisk-Users] Extension buttons

David Krider david at davidkrider.com
Thu Apr 22 17:33:59 MST 2004

I've downloaded the entire archive of articles and searched through them
for an answer on this, but I haven't come across one yet. I'm looking to
replace a small phone system in my church with Asterisk, and I'm stuck
looking for phones. I know that the staff are going to want a button for
their commonly-called extensions, but I'm having trouble finding phones
that have, say, 10 programmable buttons for this sort of thing. I'm left
to conclude that most phones can do this sort of thing by clicking
through some combination of buttons. However, it would seem that the
average price for a nice SIP phone eliminates the possibility of just
ordering some to find out. Can someone please tell me how this is
handled in general? For instance, the Polycom 600 doesn't seem to have
ANY buttons that can be programmed for particular extensions, but I have
to think it can do so fairly easily. Perhaps these phones are being sold
primarily for very large business (like my Fortune 500 company) where
you use a directory for numbers, and have only a few buttons for
programming. I guess the follow-on question is just to ask: what phone
would be good for a 12-18 extension office, where people want to quickly
ring up others because of long walks between the offices?

Thanks,
dk
--
David "Dunkirk" Krider, http://www.davidkrider.com
Acts 17:28, "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."