[Asterisk-Users] How to get call back when transfer fails

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Apr 22 11:29:45 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 13:13, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > Well you could do a supervised transfer, or 3 way call. Basically, you
> > place the one leg of the call on hold, dial the extension you are to
> > transfer to, then if you successfully connect, bring the call to three
> > way, and then excuse yourself.
>
> Ok, I understand that one.  Overkill but it would work.  I know how to do this
> on a Zap interface (hookflashes) , but how does one do it on a SIP or IAX
> interface?

I don't know about SIP, and I think IAX should work similarly to ZAP.

> > Or you could create a kind of Macro for transfers where it stores the
> > originating part of the transfer, and upon failed connect, does a return
> > dial. This would bypass normal call routing where a direct call would go
> > to voicemail if it misses a person at the end.
>
> I thought of that too, but I don't think it'll work:
>
> exten 101,1,Setvar(myexten)
> exten 101,2,Dial(Zap/1,10,t)
> exten 101,103,getvar(myexten)
> exten 101,104,Dial(myexten)
>
> If extension 101 is busy it will immediately try to dial me, but I'm still on
> the phone since the transfer didn't complete...

As I think this example over more, I'm not sure it will work. 2 problems
plague it. Specifically, when does it receive the information about the
call. IF you dial out, should part of the dial out statements store your
local interface? On a dial in, you would have to store it also. Okay,
these two don't sound too difficult to implement.

Of course, I think this will dovetail into the commentary about passing
variables from one call leg to another. On an outbound call, I think you
would be creating a new call leg to transfer.

Anyways, to fix the problem of being on the phone when the call comes
back, just put a wait in there that is reasonable enough for you to
hangup, or place a prompt in there that indicates the transfer is going
back to the originator.

Of course you run into the problem of what happens if you receive a call
in the meantime.  Your line goes back to busy.

OF course you could just use call parking and it has a feature for
returning the call to you if it isn't picked up within a certain amount
of time. It also allows you to either go face to face brief the other
party, or just call them.