[Asterisk-Users] Ser and Asterisk together

Girish Gopinath gopinath_girish at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:27:56 MST 2004

Hello,

>From: "Dawid Mielnik" <D.Mielnik at elka.pw.edu.pl>
>Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Ser and Asterisk together
>Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:15:21 +0200
>
>We are using ser together with *. Ser is used as a SIP proxy/registrar, *
>is
>used as a sip - pstn gateway and voicemail/forward/conference server.
>Advanteges - scalable, very large number of sip clients with easier
>radius/database user management, advanced sip logic/routing options, better
>sip interoperability
Our's is only  a SIP based system and we use SER in front of Asterisk  as
SIP Proxy/Registrar. Asterisk is mainly used as a Media Server that plays
IVR and for voice mails. Yes, it is highly scalable and database management
is easy.  We dont have SIP peers for Asterisk. It just plays the IVR and
routes the call back to SER when it receives dtmf.  As told  by OEJ in a
mail off the list,  it is nothing but just a SIP call for Asterisk.
Currently our system is under testing.

>disadvantages - you've got two boxes, no iax on ser so you still have to
>manage iax users on asterisk
We are using only one box, SER is on 5060 and Asterisk on a different port.

>In my opinion, if you plan to deploy large number of sip clients - it's a
>good idea
Very true.

>Dave

Regards, Girish