[Asterisk-Users] Questions about alarm reporting in Asterisk

Fran Boon flavour at partyvibe.com
Wed Apr 21 13:16:33 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 18:41, Ernest W. Lessenger wrote:
> We use a package called Nagios to monitor our servers, which works quite
> well. It has the ability to track service and host dependencies so you don't
> get flooded with a bunch of "service down" alerts when the real cause is a
> bad switch (or similar).

Nagios is great :)
Here is some basic info on integration with Asterisk:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+monitoring

> It would seem logical for someone (hah!) to write a res_snmp.c for asterisk
> that would expose a lot of asterisk's internal data. This would seem a
> logical step toward writing fully functional monitoring applications as
> well. The module would allow clients to add themselves to the list and
> receive traps, as well as check for the current status of various variables.
> <brainstorming>
> Okay, this may be over the top, but here goes. Write an asterisk application
> that sends (and receives) status information to another box over the PSTN.
> My idea is not only to use this as a way to verify that * is running, but as
> a way to RELIABLY tell that a remote * box is actively accepting incoming
> calls. It wouldn't have to be anything complicated, just a heartbeat and
> some basic details to let the caller know that "yes, I'm alive and accepting
> calls over this line".
> Simplified protocol:
> 1) Monitoring box calls up and says (in DTMF):
> 	#<my CallerID>#<extension I am trying to reach>#<I'm a machine, so
> reply in DTMF instead of voice>#<the secret code is>#
> 2) The remote box says
> 	#<your CallerID>#<Your DNIS>#<yes I will accept a call to that
> number>#
> 3) Monitoring box acknowledges and disconnects
> 4) Remote box disconnects
> 5) Monitoring box decides whether it likes the answers it received and
> performs actions accordingly.
> </brainstorming>

Great stuff - I've added this & the other comments to the Wiki page :)
- please keep adding stuff there as it's an important area where we
could benefit from sharing ideas (& implementations!)