[Asterisk-Users] Questions about alarm reporting in Asterisk

Ernest W. Lessenger ernest at oacys.com
Wed Apr 21 10:41:15 MST 2004

> Any good ideas would be appreciated!

We use a package called Nagios to monitor our servers, which works quite
well. It has the ability to track service and host dependencies so you don't
get flooded with a bunch of "service down" alerts when the real cause is a
bad switch (or similar).

It would seem logical for someone (hah!) to write a res_snmp.c for asterisk
that would expose a lot of asterisk's internal data. This would seem a
logical step toward writing fully functional monitoring applications as
well. The module would allow clients to add themselves to the list and
receive traps, as well as check for the current status of various variables.

<brainstorming>
Okay, this may be over the top, but here goes. Write an asterisk application
that sends (and receives) status information to another box over the PSTN.
My idea is not only to use this as a way to verify that * is running, but as
a way to RELIABLY tell that a remote * box is actively accepting incoming
calls. It wouldn't have to be anything complicated, just a heartbeat and
some basic details to let the caller know that "yes, I'm alive and accepting
calls over this line".

Simplified protocol:
1) Monitoring box calls up and says (in DTMF):
	#<my CallerID>#<extension I am trying to reach>#<I'm a machine, so
reply in DTMF instead of voice>#<the secret code is>#
2) The remote box says
	#<your CallerID>#<Your DNIS>#<yes I will accept a call to that
number>#
3) Monitoring box acknowledges and disconnects
4) Remote box disconnects
5) Monitoring box decides whether it likes the answers it received and
performs actions accordingly.

</brainstorming>

--Ernest