[Asterisk-Users] Help choosing a UK IAX provider

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Apr 21 09:13:47 MST 2004

> > That's the trouble with running VoIP over contended "public" Internet.
> > Find someone who can offer you connectivity with QoS and then has QoS
> > across their network for VoIP traffic.
>
> LOL!  I've not found any providers that offer QoS on their network other
> than a small regional ISP that put QoS on their network when we waved
> enough money at them.

FWIW, we were recently engaged to identify a VoIP problem associated with
a DS3 trade show link provided by a major Internet provider. The reported
problem by our client was essentially: a DSL circuit at the trade show
is providing rock solid voip service, however a dedicated DS3 is providing
very poor voip quality with a single workstation. The client wanted to
demo a bunch of workstations running voip, etc, so a single DSL was not
going to cut it.

The problem turned out to be QoS had been implemented on the Internet-based
DS3 from the Washington DC area to Nebraska (not requested, not expected).
The client had ordered the DS3 with a certain CIR which was believed to
have been mostly a "billing" approach (not a technical implementation).

The solution actually ended up being one of implementing QoS on their
XP demo workstations (simple checkmark in IP definitions), and the DS3
nicely handled several voip sessions very reliably. Surprised: Yes!!!

The point of that is there are some backbone providers that have done
"something" in terms of QoS even though its not openly discussed or
advertised. Could it be some form of pre-sales technical testing or
whatever? Sure.

Pure guess: I'd suspect some major ISPs are playing/testing/evaluating
approaches, or, may have implemented something technically that enforces
a CIR on an ordinary DS3.

Rich