[Asterisk-Users] Intel 536ep as a FXO?

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Sun Apr 18 22:48:45 MST 2004

As someone who used to adjust hybrids for a living a number of years
ago, I can tell you, complex impedence matching is only a part of the
equation.

The most important part is proper gain structure.  If that's wrong no
there is no way to control echo.  No amount of tweaking of compensation
networks will bring one into balance... No Convolution processing can
control it.  On old style equipment i.e. stuff built by Tellabs, the
gain structure had to be "right" within about .5 DBm0.

Alignment meant dialing up a milliwatt test signal, measuring that
signal at the 2 wire point and adjusting pads on the module so that the
4 wire transmit point was at a fixed and correct level.  If memory
serves, on an analog microwave system, 0 DBm into a module was supposed
to be -16 DBm on the 4 wire transmit point.  The "picture" below may
help to clarify:

       ------->            2 wire      TX            |
                              |                      |
         0DBm                 | /------o  -16DBm     |
                              |/                     |
C.O. milliwatt o-------------x       4 wire         |
                               \                     |
                                \------o  +7DBm      |

       <-------                         RX           |

So... given that we know the C.O. milliwatt is 0 DBm we also know that
the signal seen at the point marked 2 wire is the sum of 0DBm minus the
line loss, usually around 3 to 4 DB.  When that signal passes through
the hybrid and correctly adjusted associated attenuator it will appear
as marked and discussed.  Conversly, +7 DBm is inserted at the 4 wire RX
point and the associated attenuator adjusted so that sufficient signal
is seen at the 2 wire point at 0 DBm.

The microwave system that connects to the 4 wire point has 23 DB of gain
so that the layout above can be mirrored for a complete analog 2 wire/4
wire/2 wire circuit with an overall loss of between 6 to 8 DB.

The old bell specifications called for minimum 12 DB longitudinal loss
across the 4 wire points for a hybrid on a local circuit and 16 DB for
long haul.  There were milage specifications, but I don't remember them
anymore.  Just getting the gain structure right was usually enough to
meet that requirement.  If not, then we got into a backend adjustment to
impedance match the 2 wire circuit to the hybrid... Interestingly
enough, on an in use circuit, the losses and impedances didn't tend to
change much over a period of years.

I think this has gone on long enough... suffice to say, gain/levels are
crucial to echo control... It you send is too hot, you WILL have echo
and I don't care how good your card is.  These principals applied to
channel banks that I adjusted in olden days as well... Mostly Northern
Telecom DE4, but others as well.  We used special equipment to measure
signal levels at the T1 point.  I have to presume E1 equipment is/was
similar, but I have no experience there.

'nuff said