[Asterisk-Users] Intel 536ep as a FXO?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Apr 18 21:14:34 MST 2004

> If you are trying to do cellular, satellite, VoIP  or any telephony with
> high latency and do not use echo cancellation you are on to a looser.

I agree.

> Sure, the problem is worse with some interfaces in combination with
> certain lines (you can't separate the two), but echo performance will
> always be lousy without proper echo cancellation. With echo cancellation
> almost any FXO interface should work well. Every cell phone call to the
> Echo cancellation is a requirement, not an option.

Again, I would tend to agree with you.

> If the X100P's interface matches a line well it will work well. If it
> matches it badly it will work badly. Same with the channel banks, or any
> other analogue line interface. Almost all use a compromise line match.
> Adaptive line matching is rare. The echo you get is the luck of the
> draw, regardless of what FXO hardware you are using.

This is where I am trying to make my point.  The X100P's hybrid is, IMO,
substandard.  We don't officially support any other winmodem so I can't say
that another one would be better.  I'd love to have more supported WinModems
and comparison data but my needs for low density FXO solutions aren't all
that great so it's a fight I'm not particularly interested in fighting.

I've used Carrier Access' Access Bank I and their Adit600 FXO modules and they
both perform FAR better than the X100P, with the Adit600 winning out over the
ABI.  Now of course there are cost differences -- I never meant to imply that
they were on equal footing in terms of cost.  I was instead trying to point
out that the X100P is not "rock solid hw" as indicated by Mr. Matteo to Mr.
Mazurek, and I gave the literally dozens of posts about poor X100P
performance *with* the echo cancellations, tip and ring reversal tips and
various attempts to balance out imbalanced lines as proof of my position.

I haven't seen the FXO modules for the TDM400P, but I really do hope that
their hybrid will be of much higher quality than that of a $20 rebranded
WinModem.  Digium is charging for the TDM400P and also for the FXO modules --
there should be plenty of money in there for support and still have a better
hybrid than the X100P.  I hope.

Regards,
Andrew