[Asterisk-Users] PRI: This number has been disconnected

willy at yponeinc.com willy at yponeinc.com
Sun Apr 18 08:45:10 MST 2004

----- Original Message Follows -----
> All,
> When calling an invalid number using, I expect to hear:
> "dooh-deeh-daah We're sorry you have reached a number
> which has been disconnected ..."
> And that is indeed what I hear when I dial out from [*]
> using analog FXO, or VoicePulse or NuPhone.  When I dial
> that same number trough the T1 / PRI interface however, I
> continually hear ringing, and then the call gets hungup.

Further info ...
So I ran the scenario with PRI DEBUG SPAN 1 and here is what
I can see:
** Call to a Good Number **
< Message type: CALL PROCEEDING (2)
< Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare:
0, Exclusive Dchan: 0
<                        ChanSel: Reserved
<                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified
  Channel Type: 3
<                       Ext: 1  Channel: 2 ]
-- Processing IE 24 (Channel Identification)
< Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=9
< Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 32781/0x800D) (Terminator)
< Message type: ALERTING (1)
< Progress Indicator (len= 2) [ Ext: 1  Coding: CCITT (ITU)
standard (0) 0: 0   Location: Public network serving the
remote user (4)
<                               Ext: 1  Progress
available. (8) ]
 etc etc etc

** Call to a Bad Number **
< Message type: CALL PROCEEDING (2)
< Channel ID (len= 5) [ Ext: 1  IntID: Implicit, PRI Spare:
0, Exclusive Dchan: 0
<                        ChanSel: Reserved
<                       Ext: 1  Coding: 0   Number Specified
  Channel Type: 3
<                       Ext: 1  Channel: 2 ]
-- Processing IE 24 (Channel Identification)
< Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=13
< Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 32782/0x800E) (Terminator)
< Message type: PROGRESS (3)
< Cause (len= 2) [ Ext: 1  Coding: CCITT (ITU) standard (0)
0: 0   Location: Public network serving the remote user (4)
<                  Ext: 1  Cause: Unallocated (unassigned)
number (1), class = Normal Event (0) ]
< Progress Indicator (len= 2) [ Ext: 1  Coding: CCITT (ITU)
standard (0) 0: 0   Location: Public network serving the
remote user (4)
<                               Ext: 1  Progress
available. (8) ]
-- Processing IE 8 (Cause)
-- Processing IE 30 (Progress Indicator)
< Protocol Discriminator: Q.931 (8)  len=9
< Call Ref: len= 2 (reference 32782/0x800E) (Terminator)
< Message type: DISCONNECT (69)
< Cause (len= 2) [ Ext: 1  Coding: CCITT (ITU) standard (0)
0: 0   Location: Public network serving the remote user (4)
<                  Ext: 1  Cause: Normal Clearing (16),
class = Normal Event (1) ]
-- Processing IE 8 (Cause)
    -- Channel 2, span 1 got hangup

As you can see, the PRI reports different stuff.  It also
has somewhere a 'Unallocated (unassigned) numnber (1).  Then
the PRI proceeds to send 'Inband information' which
presumably is the recording I am never hearing.