[Asterisk-Users] tcp/ip stack tweaks

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Apr 12 17:52:30 MST 2004

On Apr 12, 2004, at 5:39 PM, Roger wrote:

> Outside of Asterisk - is their anything a linux admin can do to
> optimize or speed network traffic to/from the pbx to sip phones?
> I'm looking for some options in /proc
>
> Since Asterisks is a network bound/sensetive app I'd start their.
> I'm running RH9.  Optimizations for other linux and unix distro
> welcome aswell.

There shouldn't be much that needs tuned, unless your network is
overloaded and dropping packets.  If that's happening, then you're
going to need to dig in and take a look at QoS on Linux *and* on your
switches and routers, but odds are that won't be a problem on most
LANs.  I mean, even G.711 is only ~80 kbps (including overhead), so you
should be able to run hundreds of simultaneous conversations on 100
Mbps Ethernet without running out of bandwidth.

Are you having problems?  What are you seeing?

Scott