[Asterisk-Users] Local Calling Area database?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Thu Apr 8 12:30:55 MST 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Steven Sokol wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to get information about local calling areas out
>> of telcos?  I'm trying to get a list of area codes and prefixes in my
>> local calling area out of Verizon, and it looks like they've stopped
>> providing the information online.  Is there an easy source that I'm
>> missing, or do I need to call them and have them mail me a copy every
>> few months?
>
> No.  I actually filed a complaint with my ILEC, my PUC and with the
> FCC, all
> to no avail.  The response was universally "You can purchase that
> information from a number of 3rd party sources." Which generally meant
> TelCordia (evil Belcore) who charges insane amounts for the
> information.
>
> <rant>If you find a source for this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  Personally I
> think
> it should be criminal for them NOT to provide anybody who asks with a
> list
> of what is and is not local.  You should be able to ask, in an
> automated
> way, before each call.</rant>

Well, I sort of have a source now.  Which is to say, I have a script
that'll screen-scape a CLEC's website for information for a specified
number, and then spit out the matching area code/exchange pairs in a
form suitable for inclusion into a dial plan.  Odds are, the CLEC will
cut things off eventually, but it works today and seems correct for my
home phone number, even though I'm not remotely a customer of theirs.

You can grab a copy at
http://svn.scottstuff.net/project/asterisk-lca-map/.  It's written in
Ruby, so you'll need to install a ruby interpreter, but there's almost
certainly one pre-built for whichever Linux distribution you're
running.

Scott