[Asterisk-Users] SIP <--> PSTN gateways

Chris Sullivan feedle at feedle.net
Thu Apr 8 08:42:50 MST 2004

On Apr 7, 2004, at 10:53 PM, Tom wrote:

>> 1. Do any of the standard companies (Packet8, Broadvox, Vonage, etc.)
>> allow
>> you to use your own SIP device (phone or something like *) instead of
>> the
>> interface hardware they usually provide?
>
>   Many of the providers use SIP, so even if they don't explicitly tell
> you
> the SIP settings to us, it is possible to hookup something else.  I've
> heard that Packet8 gets annoyed when people use self-supplied devices,
> but
> it would be possible to hack the code to emulate the device identifier.
> I've seen an Vonage example posted.

I've had great luck with VoicePulse's Connect service.  They just
opened up a bunch of new rate centers, including Los Angeles/Orange
County.  $7.99/mo per phone number, 2.9 cents a minute for long
distance outbound, no minimums or contract.

>> 3. Finally, do any of the providers deliver more than one call via
>> SIP?  In
>> otherwords, if I'm already on a call and another comes in will they
>> attempt
>> to deliver it?
>
>   Good question.  I wonder how many of the providers even have the
> ability
> to restrict you to one call!  I hope the unlimited providers do,
> because
> otherwise people using Asterisk as a SIP UA are going to have a field
> day.

VoicePulse Connect does.  I had four people in a MeetMe conference last
night, all dialing in via a VPConnect-supplied number.