[Asterisk-Users] SIP <--> PSTN gateways

Tom tom at sdf.com
Wed Apr 7 22:53:20 MST 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Brian Cuthie wrote:

> So what are people using these days for SIP or IAX to PSTN gateways.

  I'm setting up my own gateways.  I'm getting a Cisco 2621XM with a HDV
module.  I had high hopes for the Ovislink gateways, but they discard
proxied SIP requests, for some unknown reason.

> 1. Do any of the standard companies (Packet8, Broadvox, Vonage, etc.) allow
> you to use your own SIP device (phone or something like *) instead of the
> interface hardware they usually provide?

  Many of the providers use SIP, so even if they don't explicitly tell you
the SIP settings to us, it is possible to hookup something else.  I've
heard that Packet8 gets annoyed when people use self-supplied devices, but
it would be possible to hack the code to emulate the device identifier.
I've seen an Vonage example posted.

> 2. What about latency and reliability?

  Well, latency is going to be factor of your network and your provider
more than anything.  If they are bad, it is going to bad.  As far as
reliablitity goes, perhaps someone else knows more about that.

> 3. Finally, do any of the providers deliver more than one call via SIP?  In
> otherwords, if I'm already on a call and another comes in will they attempt
> to deliver it?

  Good question.  I wonder how many of the providers even have the ability
to restrict you to one call!  I hope the unlimited providers do, because
otherwise people using Asterisk as a SIP UA are going to have a field day.

  Ultimately, you'll need a business SIP connection.  There are some
providers out there that can do this for LD.

> Thanks
>
> -brian

Tom