[Asterisk-Users] SIP phone registering problem

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 02:12:00 MST 2004

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 09:24, Richard Airlie wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 05:52:51PM -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > download ethereal and take a peek at the packets on the wire. Without
> > something like that, no one is really going to be able to help you.

I thought I'd chime in here with a packet dump from ethereal, since I'm also
using KPhone 4.02 and I feel there's maybe a bug in its registration code,
since I remember using KPhone 3.xx and having no problems.

However, I would appreciate it if someone more experienced could cast their
eyes over this to make sure I'm not doing something stupid :)

My Asterisk sip.conf is simply:

[general]
port = 5060
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
context = default

[myphone]
type=friend
host=dynamic
context=default
qualify=1000

And the KPhone configuration is set as follows:

User part of SIP URL: myphone
Host part of SIP URL: gdh
Outbound Proxy: tel

'gdh' is the name of my local PC and resolves to 194.200.209.137
'tel' is the remote Asterisk server at 213.2.4.46.

I have made sure there is no firewall issue between the two by two catch-all
iptables -A FORWARD -s 194.200.209.137 -d 213.2.4.46 -j ACCEPT and
iptables -A FORWARD -d 194.200.209.137 -s 213.2.4.46 -j ACCEPT
at the firewall on each side.

I've attached a gzipped snippet from ethereal in libpcap format of the failing
registration.

If the list doesn't permit attachments, it's also available at
http://bum.net/sip.cap

Cheers,
Gavin.