[Asterisk-Users] SIP phone registering problem

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Apr 7 02:41:39 MST 2004

> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 05:52:51PM -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > download ethereal and take a peek at the packets on the wire. Without
> > something like that, no one is really going to be able to help you.
>
> Do you mean then that my SIP trace displayed at kphone looks otherwise OK --
> that the REGISTER request that kphone's sending out looks alright?
>
> Is there a single good resource describing the SIP protocol specification
> so I know what I should be looking for?

One good reference is:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_programming_reference_guide_book0
9186a0080080221.html

Since you indicated asterisk was not showing any activity from that
register, it is highly likely the register activity isn't going to
where you think it should, or something like that. I'd suspect that
you really don't need the sip protocol reference noted above, just
a clue from the packet trace what is really happening on the wire.

SIP packets (on the wire) contain a substantial amount of plain text,
so looking at two or three packets to see what is really happening
doesn't require very much technical understanding or references.

Rich