[Asterisk-Users] Problems with IAX2?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Apr 6 20:37:20 MST 2004

> >Jeremy,
> >
> >I can confirm as of cvs this morning, the 7960->iax2 jitter is still a
> >very major problem. Interestingly, it's not as big (if any) problem with
> >the Snom 200 phone. Reading the comments in bug #1220, it appears to be
> >related to internal iax timestamp issues and the translation to sip-g.xxx
> >for the 7960's. (Might be some other phones as well, but reading between
> >the lines suggest it's a limited subset of all sip phones.) I've tried
> >g711 and g729 on both 7960's and snom 200 with three different * systems
> >of various cvs dates. All three have the issue with the 7960's, but not
> >sure as yet on the snom. Will know more by morning (CDT).
> >

> Rich,   I think your Cisco phones are having trouble with the irregular
> timestamps (not evenly spaced at 20ms, but ocassionaly having jumps of
> 19 or 21 ms).  Our problem is different.  It is in the other direction
> (the PSTN) side.  We do experience slight hiccups on our SPA2000s when
> timestamps jump by 19ms or 21ms but that is nothing compared with the
> lack of jitter buffer experience.

Not sure what the issue is, but at least in my case, its more then just a
jitter buffer. I understand the timestamp comment as well. In running
several different experiments, it seems to be mostly a one-way problem
with the 7960's but haven't gathered enough to back that 100%.

Just ran two conversations across the same iax link; Cisco choppy and
unusable, snom fine.

Rich