[Asterisk-Users] Change IP info.

Jeremy Hall jeremyhall at mpccorp.com
Tue Apr 6 13:08:41 MST 2004

I'll try to help remove some Smoothwall confusion here, I use it at home
for my firewall too.

Red IP: The IP of the NIC that is exposed to the untrusted network.  For
a home user, this would be the IP assigned by your cable provider.  No
system

Green IP: The IP of the NIC attached to your internal network.  This is
the IP used as the Gateway on your internal systems.

Orange IP: This is the IP of the NIC attached to your DMZ network.
Green can see every port in the Orange DMZ network, but not the other
way around.

As for versions, there are several.  There is Smoothwall Express, which
is the GPL version.  There are also Corporate versions, which are based
on the GPL version, but provide additional enhancements that have not
yet been added to the express version.  However, many people are writing
their own modifications that add much of the Corporate advantage to the
GPL version.

As to the point of the original question, Smoothwall really doesn't play
a part here.  There is no DHCP, DNS, or other service running on the
Orange NIC, so the system must be configured manually for IP, DNS, and
Gateway information.  This would be change the same way you change that
on any Linux system that is not configured for DHCP.

Without knowing your specific distribution, I am not able to provide a
good answer for that.  In all honesty, I have never had to change the
static IP on a Linux system as I have everything set to DHCP and control
that information remotely.  I change the config on the DHCP server,
reboot the affected system or refresh the IP information, and it is
done.

Post your distribution, software/server daemons you have installed (some
need to be changed) and someone familiar with your specific system may
be able to better help you.

Jeremy