[Asterisk-Users] Level3 and resellers (was: Spring VON Wrap Up)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Apr 5 19:11:28 MST 2004

At 1:34 PM -0700 on 4/5/04, Mike Machado wrote:
>  > Was there any aggressive pricing given for nationwide voip LD?
>
>Level3 had several products, one they called Enhanced which was supposed
>to also include E911 service. They quoted me about $.01 per minute
>inbound or outbound nation wide. They said they support the top 300
>cities in the US and, of course, have plans to serve every rate center
>in the US.
>
>I also went and talked with ITXC, but the rather bad sales person said
>they were only really interested in international calling and not
>domestic LD.

If you find someone at Level3 who will give you the time of day if
you're less than 10 million minutes, let me know.  Their sales reps
have more or less blown me off completely unless I could bring them
that volume day 1, and they've been very upfront with their stonewall
tactics.  Additionally, ask them how they get minutes to you - good
luck getting SIP handoffs, and also good luck unless you're on a
Level3 IP bandwidth connection or cross-connect in their co-lo.  Lots
and lots of hidden costs in there which more than make up for the
"low" prices on per minute fees unless you're pouring huge numbers of
minutes into them.

Lack of transparency in the sales process is going to kill these big
companies that think they need a sales rep to negotiate for the best
price.  I want a web page and a signup process and an invoice that
makes sense, and no murky hand-waving and hidden costs that require a
"team" of sales people to sort through.  <grumble>  Can you tell I've
been working all day with telco sales yahoos who don't know what
"SIP" is without asking their engineering team?

JT