[Asterisk-Users] * INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEW MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY * Please read

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Apr 5 01:08:00 MST 2004

Welcome to the Asterisk users community!

The lead programmer of Asterisk, Mark Spencer at Digium, inc, writes:
> The Asterisk community is growing at a remarkable pace.  I know there are
> thousands of you out there -- in fact there are over eight *thousand*
> subscribers to asterisk-users alone, and almost one *thousand* registered
> users on the bug tracker.

This means that everything anyone write to this mailing list, is sent to over
8.000 mailboxes that is already flowing over with messages.

I would like to stress the fact that you have to think before you send a
message to such a big list. Do *not* send out personal replies on the list.
If you offer services to someone, do *not* CC: or reply to the list, it
will annoy more potential customers than get you new customers. If you
send out a message by mistake, you don't have to apologize to all of us,
we understand you're embarassed. We will get more annoyed by your apology
than over your first message.

** Try finding the answer first, then ask the list

The Asterisk Wiki at http://www.voip-info.org project is an important
knowledge base for the project.

Go there to find your answer first, then search the mailing list
archives (Google or http://search.voip-forum.com) and then
go to the IRC channel. The IRC channel is populated with Asterisk gurus
around the clock (literally) and they'll help you move forward.

* IRC info: http://www.asterisk.org/index.php?menu=support#irc
* There's many links to Asterisk web pages on the documentation
   page at http://www.asterisk.org
* The Asterisk FAQ is found on the wiki
   http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+FAQ
* The Asterisk documentation project (which needs your help)
   is at http://www.asteriskdocs.org

Finally, if you don't find the answer elsewhere, try the list.

** Mailing lists
For developers, there is a developer's list. You'll find it
on http://lists.digium.com, which is the address where you manage
your subscription to this list as well.

** Reporting bugs
If you think you have found a bug, report it. We need bug reports.
Read this document http://www.digium.com/bugtracker.html and then
go to the bugtracker http://bugs.digium.com to file a report.
If you are unsure, find a bug marshal on the IRC channel to help
you. They're appointed to support you with how to handle bugs.

The bug tracker is also a place where you add your contribution
to Asterisk. If you have coded extra functionality, make sure you
give it back to the project so it can be added to the code base.
This is how Asterisk grows, free contributions and consultants
that are paid to add functionality on a case by case basis.

** Remember: It's Open Source, it's volountary
Asterisk.org is a Open Source project. This means you can't request
help from people, demand new functions or support. However, there
are many individuals and companies out there that are offering
services based on Asterisk, from VoIP service providers to
consultants all over the world.

Of course, this is also part of Digiums business, so you have
plenty of help if your willing to pay. Digium is to be found at
http://www.digium.com. Service providers and consultants are
listed on the wiki, where you'll find companies all over the globe
that are willing to set up your PBX and get you connected to either
the PSTN or the growing telephony network on the Internet.

Again, welcome to the Asterisk.org Open Source PBX Project!

Meet you on the IRC channel :-)

/oej