[Asterisk-Users] PRI issues with TE410P

Storer, Darren starusers at comgate.tv
Sat Apr 3 00:11:03 MST 2004

Hi Azher,

> They advertised on TeleVision and then we had a rush of
> calls landing on the system (about 30 calls in 1-2 secs and 60 in 3-4
> seconds time).

this sounds like a high number of _simultaneous_ call attempts for a PRI
connected system to support. Your comments about a gradual load increase
presenting no problem would seem to back this fact up. On most Public
Telephone Switches (in the UK) it is advised that no more than 5 call
attempts per second should be attempted via PRI if you seek stability.
(Above 5 calls attempts per second "Network Congestion" messages can be
sometimes be observed on a protocol analyser. These congestion messages can
prove fatal for certain applications such as high quality video conferences
via hardware that aggregates multiple B channels.) It should be remembered
that PRI connections are based upon subscriber signalling specifications and
that "spiky" mass call events are traditionally hosted on platforms that are
connected via SS7 signalling.

I know of similar stability problems with Dialogic and Acculab ISDN
connected systems where mass call events, in excess of 5 call attempts per
second, have proved too much of a spike for the Public Switch. In certain
switch architectures concentrator equipment can also be adversely affected
by this kind of deployment which can cause disruption for many customers
(not just the one running the PRI IVR platform).

On slower CPU systems (< 800 MHz) I have noticed occasional Euro ISDN PRI
signalling problems if a high percentage of the 30 channels on an E100P are
busy with simultaneous outbound/inbound calls and glare occurs. On the
protocol analyser trace it was evident that some messages via the D channel
from the Public Switch went unacknowledged by the Asterisk system. If you
encounter this problem a quick work around is to split the channels of your
single PRI into two trunks to stop the contention between inbound and
outbound telephony traffic. (E.g. g1 for incoming and g2 for outgoing calls)

I have yet to flex a TE410P with significant traffic levels as all my busy
systems are using E100P cards but I have just finished commissioning a
TE410P system (with help from Rob Boardman - thanks) in Munich that will be
stress tested over the next two weeks; I hope to have news on stability when
the tests are completed.

HTH

Darren
--