[Asterisk-Users] Re: Still trying program -> phone call

Andy Powell andy at beagles-den.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 09:40:44 MST 2004

On 02/04/2004 at 11:17 John Chambers wrote:

>Andy Powell wrote:
>>
>> 1 Access to the PSTN - this can be done via a single X100P card (plugs
>into a standard phone line) or one of the sinlge port T1 cards or 4 port
>TDM410 cards (if you need a shedload of lines). You can also use a VoIP ->
>PSTN gateway or gateway service (such as, but not limited to, NuFone)
>>
>> If you use the X100P, then as I say, a standard analogue phone line is
>all you need (you can add upto 3 X100P's iirc without issues).
>> If you want to use the T1 cards then you need to get your local telco to
>deliver T1's to your location
>
>Actually, this is very much like one of our plans.  Of course, if we are
>to install
>hardware to connect to the PSTN locally, there's little point in using a
>complex
>package like asterisk.  I've done enough modem programming, including
>implementing
>SLIP and PPP from scratch, to know how to handle that. But we were hoping
>to use
>the glorious new VOIP approach, so we won't have to have a staff to
>babysit the
>special hardware.  The prospect of lower costs for internet calls also
>gets people's
>attention, but supporting a modem bank is a nightmare that we're hoping to
>avoid.

Ok, that's fine except VOIP can bet dodgy - how would you tell for example that the audio being delivered wasn't being broken up into unintelligable blips and squeeks because of bandwidth issues - particularly over the net?

>> Personally I think the medical service should just employ more people
>for home visits, since seeing a person is better than just hearing an
>automated voice on the phone.. (you may have differing opinions, but I
>come from a culture of free healthcare (however bad it is at the moment))
>
>Lots of people would agree with you there. But in modern America, this is
>becoming less and less feasible for most of the population.

How true.... and how sad... :(

>> It looks to me like you put  800 with a context of callme in your .call
>file...
>
>Nope; there's no "800" anything in any file that I edited. I'm assuming
>that it's the result of some default calculation, but I don't know yet.

When in doubt blame aliens......

>> You could of course pay my air fare to Boston (and back) and hotel costs
>and I'd gladly help you out in person.. after my time at VON in Boston
>last year I wouldn't mind visiting again :D
>
>Yeah; wouldn't it be nice to persuade our employers to pay for this?  It
>reminds me of advice I've often given musical friends:  Don't complain about the
>way that people think that other musicians from far away are better than the local
>yokels. That way, the local audience pays to fly your friends in for parties and
>jam sessions, and their local audience pays to fly you there.  You want to
>encourage this attitude; it's to everyone's advantage.

Yes!

>OTOH, we're talking about software to do remote communications. It's
>probably far better if the developers are forced to do their work across the Net. If
>you want the software to work at a distance, it's reassuring to know that the
>developers know how to work at a distance.

Some of us can do it remotely, but I like to visit places - and Boston isn't too unlike home (but that's beacuse of it's history :) )...

/me casually increases taxes on tea and runs away...

Andy