[Asterisk-Users] Is asterisks the best for a simple DTMF response system?

Thu Apr 1 16:18:54 MST 2004

I received a recommendation to check out Asterisk, as a platform to host
a simple DTMF response system, something like:

    Setup up VoIP endpoint on Linux/FreeBSD system
    Answer incoming VoIP phone calls
    User enters 100#, perl script plays back "foo"
    User enters 101#, perl script plays back "fum"
    User enters 102#, perl script looks up something in
       database, converts to text with festival, speaks it.

How would one get started, using Asterisks on this project, and is
Asterisks the best option?  Is it really good enough for a high volume (though
sub carrier-grade) solution?  I'm willing to use commercial software also.

                -Bryce