[Asterisk-Users] Modems

Martin Mielke martin.mielke at thales-is.com
Fri Apr 2 06:14:46 MST 2004

Hi Jeremy,

Jeremy Hall wrote:

>Actually, the short answer any more is yes, you can use a modem.

Cool! that could make my life easier when setting up a demo system to
"sell" Asterisk to my bosses... :-)

>I know it is better for several reasons to use an actual Digium X100P.
>The main reason being that supporting them is a very good thing.  They
>are the reason Asterisk exists.  However, I see lots of messages in
>various forums wanting something cheap to start out with, and for many
>of us, $100 for a card, or $180 for a dev kit just doesn't fit the
>budget for a test or hobby system.  Personally I would like to see them
>sell a cheaper version, without the support option.  If they sold one
>per customer for $50 without the hour of support, I think people would
>be more likely to buy one.  I would have, that is for sure.

By now I only need a working VoIP<->PSTN demo on Asterisk. Buying such
dedicated telephony cards is the next step.

>That being said, you need a specific firmware on the modem, Intel 537 or
>MD3200.

How to find out? For both the built-in modem in my laptop and for the
external US-Robotics I can't find it on the provided docs...

[ snip ]

>Please note that I do not sell any of these cards on eBay, and am not
>trying to support any specific seller.  I simply found one the works,
>and wanted to help others in low-budget situations out.  I will be happy
>to help anyone out that needs it with these cards, but keep in mind that
>mine installed with no issues at all, so I don't have any
>troubleshooting experience with this card.

Could you please provide some help on how to configure Asterisk to use a
modem for outgoing calls? For outgoing SIP-calls it works fine...

[ snip ]

Thanks and regards,
Martin