[Asterisk-Users] Modems

Jeremy Hall jeremyhall at mpccorp.com
Thu Apr 1 08:40:12 MST 2004

Actually, the short answer any more is yes, you can use a modem.

I know it is better for several reasons to use an actual Digium X100P.
The main reason being that supporting them is a very good thing.  They
are the reason Asterisk exists.  However, I see lots of messages in
various forums wanting something cheap to start out with, and for many
of us, $100 for a card, or $180 for a dev kit just doesn't fit the
budget for a test or hobby system.  Personally I would like to see them
sell a cheaper version, without the support option.  If they sold one
per customer for $50 without the hour of support, I think people would
be more likely to buy one.  I would have, that is for sure.

That being said, you need a specific firmware on the modem, Intel 537 or
MD3200.  I purchased a cheap one on eBay ($3 plus shipping) and it works
fine.  It specifically said in the auction that it had the MD3200
firmware.  I put it in the system and let Kudzu detect and setup the
card on startup.  I then followed the instructions for setting up an
X100P card, with no source modifications needed.

I am seeing a periodic Caller ID error, but the information still comes
into * fine.  See the Wiki for more info.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Hardware

Please note that I do not sell any of these cards on eBay, and am not
trying to support any specific seller.  I simply found one the works,
and wanted to help others in low-budget situations out.  I will be happy
to help anyone out that needs it with these cards, but keep in mind that
mine installed with no issues at all, so I don't have any
troubleshooting experience with this card.

My feelings on the hardware issue is that support can go to Digium in
different ways.  Just because someone isn't supporting them by buying
hardware, doesn't mean they can't submit bug fixes and feature
enhancements.  I know many people who can't afford those prices for
hardware, but now that I have a working setup, I an going to try to get
them to do the same.  I know that once they are hooked, they will be
exploring the system with a fine toothed comb.  The more people that
work on the software side the better, regardless of whether or not they
bought the hardware or not.

If you get one of these cards, please let me know if you need any help,
and update the Wiki if you have any other issues or information.

Jeremy