[Asterisk-Users] Questions

Vic Cross vicc at veejoe.com.au
Fri Apr 2 05:35:59 MST 2004

G'day Jeremy,

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Jeremy Bogan wrote:

> Line 1 is the home line, I want to give my DECT cordless phone system
> it's own extension and this phone will ring when this line is called.
> I'd like outgoing calls made from the DECT system only to be made from
> that first line.

Easy.  The key to getting this to work is the concept of "contexts".
Basically, in extensions.conf you will control which channels can do what,
and what happens when calls originate on different channels, by careful
assignment and inclusion of contexts.  The Asterisk Handbook is probably
the place to start here.

> Line 2 will be the business line which has a feature called Multiple
> Numbers, where the line is assigned two numbers, the second number
> rings through with distinctive ring. I want when this line rings to
> have an auto attendant and then forward the calls based on the choice
> dialled. When making outgoing calls on this line i'd like to be able to
> utilise the Line plus the second number on the same line (you dial a
> prefix).

Let me save you some grief here: out of the box, Asterisk can't cope with
the way Telstra presents distinctive ring.  Check out bug number 1007 (I
think; the bug description is something like "Distinctive ring after CID")
in the Mantis at http://bugs.digium.com -- there is a patch there that I
wrote, but it will not apply to current CVS due to changes in that section
of the code (and I have not had time yet to rework it).  If you want more
details on this, let me know off-list.

Other than the distinctive ring issue, Asterisk will do everything you
want in this scenario.  So, you're good to go (unless you want the two
numbers on your business line to be answered by different IVRs; once the
distinctive ring thing is fixed you'll be able to do that).

I have almost exactly this setup in my home-office, including the dialling
out on the alternate number (I've also got automatic long-distance
override codes as well, depending on which channel initiates the call).
If you get really stuck I can provide config examples.

Hoo-roo,
Vic Cross