[Asterisk-Users] Help with GPL license of Asterisk

costas costas at meezon.com
Mon Sep 29 08:44:32 MST 2003

Sometimes I wonder if this GPL opens a can of worms bigger than the one it tries to solve.

Example:
1) No GPL. I pay and buy a library that does something. In simple terms they let me redistribute the library combined into my code.
Cost: of library and cost per copy sold.

2) With GPL. I want to commercially distribute an app that interfaces to it.
Cost: I am afraid of getting sued so I hire a lawyer who at mucho bucks tells me its ok.
So here is the Damoclean Sword: I go ahead with it and become succesful. I still get sued (in theory) and hire mucho attorneys for much money to defend.

So, if I want to just use Asterisk without worrying, how much does it cost? I mean is there a cost per installation?

Costas