[Asterisk-Users] CDR Web Search Frontend

Dave Packham dave.packham at utah.edu
Mon Sep 29 08:30:19 MST 2003

I have commit access to the phpconfig cvs on digiums site...  Mark and team have been great to work with.  I would be happy to work on changes to the phpconfig to add cdr work or anything.   its just a framework that needs wizzards, reports etc to be finished

Dave

p0lar

>>> troy at psknet.com 9/29/2003 8:33:57 AM >>>

After reading this thread, I wonder if we couldn't create an abstract
RDBMS interface in the core, then in the addons repository, create
modules for MySQL, MSQL, MSSQL, Oracle, Sybase, PGSQL, or whatever.  The
abstraction layer would simply use whichever addon module it was
configured to use.  This would eliminate the licensing issues Digium may
have when granting a non-GPL license to a 3rd party, while allowing
creating a very flexible product.

Additional functionality could be added with some simple hooks in the
core.  For example, if you want your configurations to come directly
from a SQL database in real time, add hooks into the code to cause * to
read from the abstraction layer instead of it's internal database.  It
would be simple enough to do, and as a build-time and/or run-time
configuration option, I believe it can be done without causing issues to
the stability of the core.

Another example is CDR, which would do what it does now by writing a
csv, but could have a hook added to it to also send accounting data to a
SQL server or even a Radius accounting server or something else
entirely.

To do this right would probably force a major architectural change to *,
which I'm sure that Mark would be reluctant to do, but if someone could
build the framework, get some folks to test it (in small, medium, and
large deployments), I'll bet Mark will accept it.

Also, with the advent of the addons repository, has anyone asked Mark if
he would be willing to grant commit privileges to more people?  It
doesn't make much sense to create a new repository for this when Digium
already has the facilities available and a new repository for non-core
items.

BTW, I'm not a coder, I'm just an idea man.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks