[Asterisk-Users] Help with GPL license of Asterisk

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Mon Sep 29 08:22:05 MST 2003

Interesting.  The GPL is more parasitic than I had originally thought.

> > 3) if you need to make changes to the core in order for
> your application
> > to work, you'll need to disclose source for your changes to
> the core,
> > but not for your application.  This sounds horrid, but it's
> not too bad,
> > as your simply augmenting the core API and keeping your
> goodies in the
> > binary only portion of the release.
>
> This is also FALSE.  You MUST release both the module AND core changes
> unless you obtain license from Digium.  I believe you are
> confusing the
> "Linus exception" which is an exception for the Linux kernel
> explicitly
> made by Linus Torvalds, allowing binary only modules to the
> kernel only.

I was unaware of the 'Linux Exception,' as I'm not a developer, but I
was thinking about how some companies do release binary only modules for
the Linux kernel, and wrongly assumed that this was provided for in the
GPL.

All I can say, is sorry if I mislead anyone, and thank God I'm not a
software developer and don't have to deal with this evil, evil license.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks