[Asterisk-Users] Help with GPL license of Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Sep 29 06:39:35 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 07:38, costas wrote:
> I would appreciate some help with this. I read the GPL license and
> basically it says you can do whatever you want with the software
> (sell, modify) as long as you include the source code, the License and
> make any changes you make available in the same manner to all others.
>
> My questions is this: If I develop an external application (say a Call
> Center application or a GUI management application) that uses Asterisk
> data is that also GPLd? I understand if I add code to Asterisk, but
> what about external interfaces?
>
> Where is the seperation here of the Cathedral and the Bazaar?

If you have to link your software with a GPL library or use header files
you have used GPL files and will be required to honor the license. If
you use AGI, the stdin/stdout sufficiently isolates the parts.

An other option that is available is to negotiate a proprietary license
with Digium. Currently all code in asterisk is available to be licensed
in a form other than GPL.