[Asterisk-Users] Re: Google newsgroup or Forum setup.

costas costas at meezon.com
Mon Sep 29 05:30:13 MST 2003

I am surprised to the opposition to forums. Are we living in the stone age? I have used many forums and find them 100 times easier than mailing lists. Imagine having to get emails from 10's of forums filling up my mailboxes every day.

But here is some answers to arguments why forums are better:

1) A forum organizes and centralizes the messages where they can be accessed from anywhere at anytime. You just need a browser. As far as seraching options the sky is the limit. Someones was suggesting how I should be using a "quality" product like Outlook. I don't know if he was joking. Although maybe "quality", I would not want my email to be on one desktop.
We are in the age of distributed computing and not necessarily working for big corporations. And anyway, Outlook is virus prone. (I love FUD)

2) Everyone has internet access. I don't get the dialup issue. Accessing forums is still faster even with dialup. And the graphics are just options.

3) You can still have the forum email you all your topics if you like email. Knock yourself out.

4) You can have the forum email only topics of interest.

5) You can have the forum email you only replies to your topic

6) Spammers? Forums require loggins with email authentication to prevent spamming. My email is full of spammers already. Do I have to deal with self mailing list excess?

7) And then the guy who said the horse can be faster than an automobile. Although a romantic notion of the old west Pony Express or something, wanna race east coast to west coast against my beat up Chevy?

Come on. This reminds me of flames arguing over whether Notepad is easier to use than an IDE when programming. Let me not start. I face this issue everyday with people who dont even wanna use computers for telephony. The usual answer is: "Its always been done like that." even if it saves them a zillion dollars and time. So I try to sell them harder.

Either way, I just wanted to make my views known. Thanks for listening.

Costas

--
Costas Menico
Meezon Software Corp