[Asterisk-Users] Google newsgroup or Forum setup.

Paul Crick web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com
Sun Sep 28 14:32:03 MST 2003

> I am sure this has been asked before, but why not use
> Google newsgroup or at least some forum BBS software
> instead of this cumbersome mailing list process?
Someone's wanting to get flamed today eh? ;-)

I'm a big fan of bulletin board type systems and have used phpBB quite a bit
(www.phpbb.com) - it's great because it has a "show me all new messages
since I last logged in" feature and allows for multiple forums/topics etc.
You can get it to email you if someone replies to a thread that you've
marked/are "watching".

That said, I like the Asterisk mailing lists too - they end up in different
folders in my Outlook, I can follow threads etc, it works well too.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other I guess - everyone has their personal
preferences. As for "cumbersome" - hmm, that's the word that'll maybe rock
the boat on the list. What's the problem with a mailing list? So long as
people can handle the basics of reply quoting etiquette and keep away from
HTML formatting, there should be few problems? I guess the only thing is the
search capabilities but then you can do that through Google or another
archive indexer - it's just maybe not that obvious/clear how to do it..

For list reference/archiving, go to www.google.com, in the search keywords
box type "site:lists.digium.com" followed by the keywords you want to
search.

Anyone else got thoughts/evidence on email versus BBS type working?