[Asterisk-Users] An interesting call path observation..

WipeOut wipe_out at lycos.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 06:20:38 MST 2003

This is not really a problem just something I noticed in my testing..

When two or more Asterisk servers are connected by IAX2 trunks it does
not make use of any "shortest path" type system.. (maybe this is still
planned somwhere down the line, but may come in handy to those who have
multi asterisk installations)

Here is the setup..

UA1--- Asterisk1----[IAX2 Trunk]---Asterisk2---UA2

                UA3

If I have a call between UA1 and UA2 and I transfer the call from UA2 to
UA3 the result is that the voice path is like this..

UA1---Asterisk1---Asterisk2---Asterisk1---UA3

Asterisk does not work out that UA1 and UA3 are local and so does not
create a shortest path link between the two end points..

Anyway, Like I said not really a major problem but will cause more
bandwith to be used up and if you are running at max could cause a problem..

Later..