[Asterisk-Users] VIA vs Intel

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Thu Sep 25 02:15:08 MST 2003

Sean P. Robertson wrote:
> I have.  Heads up on the built-in sound.  Like everything else on the
> motherboard, it uses a VIA chipset and chan_oss will not work with it.

To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing special about how chan_oss
uses the OSS drivers that would make it fail on this chipset in
particular. I can only assume therefore that OSS isn't configured
properly on your machine. Is this the case? Do other OSS applications
work properly?

I used to have VIA82C686 support built into the kernel, and chan_oss
worked fine with it. I now use the snd-via82xx ALSA driver with
snd-pcm-oss module for OSS emulation/compatibility layer and that also
works fine.

--
Alastair Maw
MX Telecom - Systems Analyst