[Asterisk-Users] VIA vs Intel

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning+asterisk at monsoonwind.com
Wed Sep 24 22:08:10 MST 2003

Have you tried ALSA?  I am just getting my platform up with the 1GHz C3.
Seems to be running fine with 4 BT101s in a meetme conference using ULAW.

Next is to try ALSA to get local console sound support.  Yes, OSS_Lite
does fail.  AC97 driver does not recognize the chip ID.

<quote who="Sean P. Robertson">
> I have.  Heads up on the built-in sound.  Like everything else on the
motherboard, it uses a VIA chipset and chan_oss will not work with it.

> Several posts have been made to the list in the past about the VIA
chipset sound cards.  Take a look at the Google archives for more info.

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2&currency=2

>> various collection of via based boards and cases and other goodies that go
>> along with them.
>>
>> They are cheap enough they could work as either an asterisk server
(diskless or with disk), or as phone platforms themselves.

tried unsucessfully, do I have to run make with any specific
>> > switches
>> >
>> >Yes, look for comments about a 586 flag since the via chips aren't
>> fully
>> >PII or above compatible.
>> >--
>> >Steven Critchfield  <critch at basesys.com>