[Asterisk-Users] dialing codes..( You can help! )

Paul Crick web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com
Tue Sep 23 10:17:16 MST 2003

> Please send me your country's dialing rules similar to how
> I have represented them in the example and when I have a
> listing I will be happy to post it for everyone..
I was thinking about this a while back. Wouldn't it be nice to have all this
stuff online, in one consolidated place, kept up to date? I'm dreaming, I
know, but why wouldn't it be possible? Telcos seem to have some information,
they can tell you that +1604 is Vancouver BC and +441xx is "UNITED KINGDOM",
but why not have all the information available to everyone, so we know that
+441256 is "Basingstoke, UK" for example? Mammoth task? Or not really?

I guess a lot is available online.. I know the North American area code
assignment is available from NANPA and the UK one from Oftel. What about
other countries?

> Specific countries I need urgently are US, Canada, France
> and Germany..
I can tell you that in the US and Canada there is no distinction between
geographic landlines and mobile phone numbers. For example, +1 604 257 xxxx
are landlines, and +1 604 339 xxxx are mobiles. Locally these are all dialed
as 10 digit numbers and are free calls - called party pays in North America,
as opposed to calling party pays in the rest of the world.

I'd be up for setting up some kind of website/database thing for collating
all this information, just not sure of the value and if anyone else would be
up for it/contributing data? Be cool to have though, and nice for customer
bill presentation etc?

Paul