[Asterisk-Users] Advantage of Cisco 7960 with 5.x firmware

Matthew Hardeman mhast at papersoft.com
Tue Sep 23 09:13:58 MST 2003

I've found there are some bugs they don't list (bugs of great severity)
that are fixed in the latest release that can cause trouble in certain
environments.  The phone's handling of ICMP redirects in a multihomed
Ethernet environment (two separate, exclusive subnets running on a
single segment) is very flaky, and frequently will result in the phone
crashing and rebooting.  The latest release seems to mitigate this in
most instances, though I actually found the best solution (sadly) was to
prevent my gateway from sending ICMP redirects to the Cisco phones.

The 5.x+ stuff is annoying, due to the whole code-signing issue.  It's
kind of anti-open-architecture...  On the other hand, there aren't any
non-Cisco firmware builds for these phones floating around out there...
Would you even want one?  Cisco implemented the code signing enforcement
as a response to a security analysis of the phones that pointed to the
ability to make the phone run arbitrary code via TFTP being a security
risk.  That risk is no longer.  I have mixed feelings about it, but have
no regrets in having deployed the 5.x solutions in my business.

Matt Hardeman
PaperSoft