[Asterisk-Users] how many production systems are there?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Sep 20 15:03:08 MST 2003

Steve Totaro wrote:
> i am excited too.
>
> what kind of wireless wan?

I operate a wireless WAN that covers approximately 500 square miles of
NW Indiana.

We are lightly loaded right now, so it is not yet possible to tell
whether or not we're going to have QoS problems once traffic picks up.
But for the most part a number of us are using Asterisk, "via" IAX2 and
SIP, to provide value-added services to our customers throughout our
coverage area.

But the PBX capabilities of Asterisk are also of great interest to our
customers, and we're on the verge of spinning off a VoIP unit to handle
those sorts of things, where it appears there are vast market
opportunities because of the bloated profits being enjoyed by both the
traditional TDM-style PBXs as well as the "big-boy" vendors (e.g. Cisco
and 3Com) in the VoIP space.

The biggest feature we hope to offer, which we're going to call
"Wireless InterCon," allows customers who opt for the service to expose
a local PSTN line for sharing with other members of the "club."  Because
we operate across many ILEC exchanges and two LATAs, we have the ability
to route calls privately and then out the PSTN as a local call to
exchanges that may be far away.  The "principle of locality of
reference" extends past the CO, and so many people are excited about
being able to talk to others in nearby towns for whom the call is now a
toll charge.

The scheme we're working on will try the local call first if the
exchange is one covered by a club member, but to allow our members
unfettered use of their own phones, when the local TDM circuit is busy
we just run the call out through an ISTP.

Our calcs so far show that doesn't happen very often, and the cost is so
low for VoIP ISTPs that it will only add a modest overhead to the cost
of operating the system.

I'd love it if others on the list who see any regulatory issues with
this could speak up: because we're not charging money for the service
itself, but operating a club for our customers who buy connectivity  and
VoIP from us, we're hoping we'll be OK with the state regulators.

Thanks.

B.