[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P question.

Steve Haehnichen s-asterisk at trix.com
Fri Sep 19 15:05:04 MST 2003

-=> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:39:44 -0500, PJ Welsh <pj at cassens.com> said:

> I am about to try our TDM400P E model from the developer kit (not
> the "Lite") we just got and noticed a large number of reported
> problems. I had the CVS from Sep 12 (or so the CVS/Entries file has
> in it). My drivers seem to modprobe fine. My card show up as "Found
> a Wildcard FXS: Wildcard S400P Prototype (4 modules)" in dmesg

That's odd.. mine says:
  Found a Wildcard FXS: Wildcard TDM400P REV E (4 modules)

Try doing 'lspci'.  Mine shows up as one of these two:
  01:0a.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Intel 537
  01:0b.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Intel 537

(I can't tell which is the FXO card.)

> My real question is physical appearance of the card. ALL the
> pictures show 4 modules attatched to the TDM400P (on the top edge of
> the card from front to back). Mine only has 1. So, Should I have 4
> modules or 1? What do my missing modules do?

The same PCI card is available with 1 to 4 FXS connections.  Each
connection requires one module.  I think the idea is that the card
could be 'expanded' later by adding modules.  The RJ45 ports are
already there.  The Developer Kit includes one module, for one FXS
port.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm only a couple
days ahead of you anyway. :)

Mine has horrible amounts of static.  If you plug yours in, I'd be
curious to know how your audio quality turns out.

> PS My copy of the install sheets from Digium seem to ommit any
> reference to "modprobe wcfxs" when you have a TDM400P.

Yeah, the install sheet doesn't seem to match the Developers Kit very
well.  I did a bit of "modprobe everything" until I stumbled into the
correct driver.

Also, the program "ztcfg" was new to me.  That would have been
something useful to put in the installation notes.

You first have to cook up a zaptel.conf that looks something like
this:

fxsls=5
fxoks=1
loadzone=us
defaultzone=us

Be careful since you can NOT include ";" comments like you can the
other .conf files.  The "#" is for comments in zaptel.conf only.

Then run 'ztcfg' on that file:
  ztcfg -vvv -c /etc/asterisk/zaptel.conf

That will prep the modules before you run asterisk.  You probably know
all that already, but maybe someone else like us will come along with
a search later.

-Steve