[Asterisk-Users] SIP + NAT Howto?

Stephen Varga svarga at s4nets.com
Fri Sep 19 13:37:06 MST 2003

I am new to * and I have been attempting to solve this same issue, but
have come to the conclusion that they only way to make it work is for *
to have a real reachable IP address or place another * box at the second
site and use IAX trunking. This second * box, unfortunately is
unsuitable for my scenario, but it may work in yours.

The issue is created by the fact that the *'s real ip address is in the
SDP information in the INVITE, usually this address is not directly
reachable from the second site.

When the XTEN actually tries to send the RTP data to this address it
either dies in the network or gets an ICMP Destination Unreachable
message, either way you don't have a two conversation.

Side note: If you put the * on the "outside" the XTEN phones will have
to have different RTP ports to avoid call conflicts.

HTH and maybe somebody has away for this to actually work.

Steve