[Asterisk-Users] Anyone using National ISDN (NI-1) BRI under Linux?

Steve Haehnichen s-asterisk at trix.com
Mon Sep 15 14:10:14 MST 2003

I have a North American BRI configured as National ISDN (NI-1) on an
SBC (Nortel?) switch.  SBC calls this "FastTrak ISDN", and it's
surprisingly inexpensive -- less than two POTS lines.

I've been trying to find an inexpensive PCI interface solution to
connect this to Asterisk as voice lines.  I prefer ISDN BRI over POTS
lines because of the improved signalling, fast dialing, clean audio,
and so on.

I've tried three different Passive ISDN boards supported by the HiSax
drivers, with various degrees of failure.  None have been able to
complete a call.  (Linux kernel 2.4.22, with AVM Fritz, DynaFax, and
HFC cards)

According to the HiSax documentation, NI-1 is a supported protocol.