[Asterisk-Users] Analog FXO Card - competition

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Mon Sep 15 12:48:43 MST 2003

Hi Mark (and all)-

Just to add my 2 cents, as a founder (15 years ago) of a company that
designed and manufactured voice/telephony boards:

I think Digium is doing most of the right things.  The keys, really, are:
reliable products that are reasonably priced, constant innovation and good
customer service, all of which I think they get pretty high marks in.  You
can't guarantee 100% market share forever no matter what you do, but doing
these things well will keep you ahead.

If there is one thing that I regret myself in my own experience was not
pursuing patents more aggressively.  Although most innovative people, me
included, would naturally want to spend their time and money innovating
rather than going through the expensive process of obtaining patents, a few
meaningful patents can help you delay the onslaught of competition from at
least the smaller companies.  They also open up the possibly of licensing
your technology to others, and increase the value of your intellectual
property should you ever sell your company (or require investment capital).

We systems integrators all benefit from survival of the "good guys"- the
ones that invent meaningful things and care about customers.  I for one
would choose a somewhat more expensive board if I know that my purchase
would help to ensure that the company will be around for a while.

Cheers
Scott Stingel

PS:  I sent a question to the Ebay poster and they responded that the boards
are not Digium, they are an "OEM part".

Scott M. Stingel
Emerging Voice Technology Inc.