[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users digest, Vol 1 #1273 - 10 msgs

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Sep 12 20:19:06 MST 2003

>  > Message: 5
>>  Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:24:13 -0400 (EDT)
>>  From: "David C. Troy" <dave at toad.net>
>>  To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
>>  Subject: [Asterisk-Users] 7206 as SIP->PSTN Gateway?
>
>>  All,
>>
>>  I know you can use, say, a 2620 w/2 port FXO card as
>>  a SIP gateway. Clearly you can use the 5300, 5800, and
>>  MGX8850 too.
>>
>>  Does anyone know which cards, if any, exist for a 7206VXR
>>  to act in a similar capacity, either as a T1/PRI, DS3, or
>
>PA-VXA-1TE1-24+	1 Port T1/E1 Digital Voice Port Adapter with
>24 Channels	B	$7,500
>
>which in practical terms, means the DSP farm..., but wait, you
>need licenses, and an IOS version that contains the features
>you need (is this possible?), and .......... you get the idea...

I think the expense is the most major issue.  Most

>  > POTS FXO/FXS?
>
>Nope. Kinda like saying - I need a 7206VXR to support
>3 home internet users..... would be very cool... (I bet
>there is someone on this list that comes close...)
>(JT - speak up...)

Yeah, yeah, I have a 7200 class machine for personal use, but it's no
longer in my house.  I got tired of the electrical bills.  I run a
simple 2514 nowadays, at least in my home office.  The big hardware I
moved to my co-lo racks, where there are cheap PRIs, air
conditioning, and UPS'ed power.  :-)

I do know several people who use 36xx machines as home routers
though, and as recently as last week was helping someone set up
Asterisk on such a system.  The FXO/FXS cards aren't that difficult
to come by, and as was previously stated, they have excellent uptime.
Useful also if you want to experiment with other SIP proxies that are
more "generic" than Asterisk.

JT

>  > What other Cisco routers can act as SIP gateways today?
>
>Are Cisco's green? Anything with an FXO port and a suitable
>IOS load... (The correct answer to this question cannot be
>reasonable expressed on a mail list, it is more like a SQL
>query, except Cisco does not make a Sales SQL database,
>preferring instead that you wade through pages and pages
>of mindless marketing speak on www.cisc.com...
>
>>  Thanks,
>>  Dave
>--
>  \_    Roger De Salis                   rdesalis at fx dot net dot nz
>  </'   FX Networks                      +64 21 481 452
>  /)    Wellington, New Zealand          roger at desalis dot gen dot nz
>(/
`  Bentley win Le Mans! - What next, English win cricket in Aus?