[Asterisk-Users] Legal Interception - tapping

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Fri Sep 12 02:44:37 MST 2003

Tais M. Hansen wrote:

>>I know it is possible to record calls, it will record them to a
>>directory you define on the server. But are you required to provide
>>archives/recordings of the calls or permit real-time tapping?
>
> You should ask some kind of justice department.
>
> We did here in Denmark and were told that there currently wasn't officially
> defined a set of rules about phonetapping but that we should be able to do so
> if legally requested by law enforcement. These rules will be clearly defined
> eventually when the government figures out their version of the
> anti-terror-package.

We're required by ICSTIS to record any live entertainment services that
run over our gear. Unfortunately they've not been very helpful regarding
requirements - there's merely a single-page document that mentions
things like "timestamping recordings every 1/2 second to ensure they
haven't been tampered with". That doesn't make much sense to me, even in
an analogue world, let alone a digital one. FWIW, they require real-time
monitoring capability (max 3 second delay) and archives for I think six
months (the document doesn't actually specify, would you believe).

If anyone has any more information about this, or could point me towards
any, I'd be most grateful - ICSTIS' "consultant" doesn't seem to reply
very promptly (if at all) to his e-mails.

Regarding the real-time monitoring, it'd be great if we could develop an
extension to zapbarge/scan that let you tap in the callerid of the
person you're wanting to monitor. It's a little hard to find things in a
120 channel bank sometimes...

--
Alastair Maw <al.maw at mxtelecom.com>
MX Telecom - Systems Analyst