[Asterisk-Users] digium dev kit - X100P & TDM400P

Timothy Soos XQL at americanisp.net
Sun Sep 7 03:10:46 MST 2003

On Saturday 06 September 2003 03:54 pm, marrandy wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Well I finally rx'd my dev kit (new batch of TDM's apparently.
>
> I'm on Mandrake 9.1
>
> There were no hardware install instructions, it would have been nice to
> know whether the 4-way power connector was to be used or was for some other
> future or expansion purpose.
> It came with a floppy disc, no label and it wasn't even write protected.
> The only readme file was  'README.DevKitLite'  and sure enough, it was an
> explanation how to install the dev lite kit, which I DON't have.
> I tried it anyway ignoring the references to S100U.
> There is a astinstaller, that failed complaining of no openssl-devel.
> Astericks has been running for the past week with no obvious problems or
> alerts.
> I am informed that mandrake has renamed it to libopenssl-blah-blah, so I
> look at the astinstaller entry and change it.  Still fails so I remove that
> check. It now builds and completes.
>
> It complains
> [root at carol etc]# ztcfg -vv
>
> Zaptel Configuration
> ======================
>

> Channel map:
>
> Channel 01: FXO Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
> Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)
>
> 2 channels configured.
>
> ZT_CHANCONFIG failed on channel 2: Invalid argument (22)
> Did you forget that FXS interfaces are configured with FXO signalling
> and that FXO interfaces use FXS signalling?
>
> Another configuration error with the software (or being generous, perhaps
> it's because it's the wrong software for the kit).
>

> [root at carol asterisk]# asterisk -vvvr
> ERROR[16384]: File asterisk.c, Line 1323 (main): Unable to connect to
> remote asterisk
>

> Hmm...that wasn't happening before I did the build using the supplied disc.
>
> Well, if anyone has the correct install disc, can they copy and zip/tgz it
> for me.
>
> Otherwise, anyone have the X100P & TDM400P cards and point me in the right
> direction.
>
> The digium FAQ :-
>
> http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=faq#Configuration_1
>
> didn't fix the problem either.  I removed /etc/asterisk etc. and have
> started fresh a number of times with no success.
>
> Hints appreciated.

I too am using Linux Mandrake 9.1 with the DevKit TDM.  You may like to know
that once you get asterisk properly installed, it works very well with these
2 boards.

First, you should make sure you check out (download) a recent version of
Asterisk via CVS.

Next, you will need to make sure your /etc/zaptel.conf file has the
appropriate entries, in the correct order.  This is the total contents of the
zaptel.conf file I used to get Asterisk successfully running:

loadzone=us
defaultzone=us
# Load FXO device (a X100P PSTN card) as Channel 1
fxsks=1

# Load FXS device (a TDM400P) as Channel 2
fxoks=2

# This file is "zaptel.conf"
# This configuration file APPEARS to function correctly.

Also, It sounds like you need to go into /usr/src/zaptel and do from the
command line "make config".  Please make sure you notice that the command
just described uses the singular form of "config" and NOT the plural form
"configs".   I point out this distinction because the FAQ online at Digium
says to do "make configs", and this will not work.  After you do "make
config", reboot your machine and the scripts you just installed will load the
proper drivers for you.  The scripts will complain the first time you run
them, and will not complain on successive reboots.

BTW - I did not use the power connector you mentioned in your post, and
Asterisk seems to work fine for me: both calling out the X100P card to the
PSTN and incoming to the phone attached to the TDM400P card.

I REALLY hope this information saves you some frustration, because I nearly
got an aneurysm figuring this out on my own with only sparse documentation.
- --
Thanks,
Timothy Soos
XQL, LLC