[Asterisk-Users] Limiting the number of SIP/IAX "lines"

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Sep 6 13:02:27 MST 2003

>Is it possible to limit the number of "lines" provided by a given
>SIP/IAX connection? For example: I want to limit SIP extensions to
>only a single incoming line, even the phone itself can handle three.
>Or, I might want to prevent extensions from making more than one
>outgoing call at a time. Or, I might want to protect my
>bandwidth/call quality by limiting outgoing calls through NuFone to
>only three calls at a time.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
>--Ernest

There is a patch already in the bugtracker for outgoing SIP:
http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000098

I imagine that it would be a good idea to also implement the same
thing for IAX.  Submit a feature request (and hopefully a patch,
too!) via the bugtracker, and maybe it will get implemented.  :)

You can already handle this, sort of, by using incrementing variables
stored in the local database (DBPut, DBGet) or by using an AGI script
to keep a counter on each outgoing peer.  That's not a particularly
clean way of doing it, but it certainly would work.

JT