[Asterisk-Users] VONAGE or IP Dialtone

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Sep 6 11:49:21 MST 2003

(Let me preface this: I applaud Vonage for their product; it's
opening up VoIP in the residential market, and that's great news for
all of us.  I think they've done a great marketing job, and they will
undoubtedly be successful in the residential space.)

Daryl -
   You will probably never find a flat-rate provider that offers that
service without major handcuffs.  My comments about Vonage being
preposterous are due to not only their restrictions on giving out a
userid/password that have been paid for; let me elaborate:  Most of
my customers are business customers.  Even those people who are not
business customers (friends, family, etc.) are tele-commuters
sporadically.  Looking at Vonage's terms of service, any type of
business use is prohibited, which eliminates them as a possible
candidate for almost 100% of the people who have asked me to
recommend a VoIP provider.  "Preposterous" is an adequate word to
describe their limitations and contractual wording.

   I suspect Vonage will eliminate their flat rate pricing sometime in
the near future, but that is purely speculative.  They're harvesting
the most abusive customers as their base, and that will come back
around to bite them.

   Queries to Vonage about giving a business rate (minute-based at
some low price) have been like talking to a brick wall.  If they
changed some of their contract wording, allowed me to use their
service with Asterisk, and opened up a per-minute plan for "business"
users, I'd be interested.  But that's not their market, and that's
fine - they know where the money is, so they should not try to
satisfy markets in which they don't feel there is significant return.

Let me give a brief overview of why I won't recommend Vonage to even
residential users:

 From Vonage's terms of service:

Firstly, why businesses shouldn't use it:

1.2 Residential Use of Service and Device
The Service and Device are provided to you as a residential user, for
your personal, residential, non-business and non-professional use.
This means that you are not using them for any commercial or
governmental activities, profit-making or non-profit, including but
not limited to home office, business, sales, tele-commuting,
tele-marketing, continuous autodialing, fax broadcast, fax blasting
or any other activity that would be inconsistent with normal
residential usage patterns.  This also means that you are not to
resell or transfer the Service or the Device to any other person for
any purpose, or make any charge for the use of the Service, without
express written permission from Vonage in advance.  You agree that
your use of the Service and/or Device, or the use of the Service
and/or Device provided to you by any other person for any commercial
or governmental purpose will obligate you to pay Vonage's higher
rates for commercial service on account of all periods, including
past periods, in which you use, or used, the Service for commercial
or governmental purposes.  Vonage reserves the right to immediately
terminate or modify the Service, if Vonage determines, in its sole
discretion, that Customer's Service is being used for non-residential
or commercial use.

Secondly, why people who value their rights shouldn't use it:

"1.3.1 Prohibited Uses:
You agree to use the Service and Device only for lawful purposes.
This means that you agree not to use them for transmitting or
receiving any illegal, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing,
defamatory, obscene, sexually explicit, profane, racially or
ethnically disparaging remarks or otherwise objectionable material of
any kind, including but not limited to any material that encourages
conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to a
civil liability, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state,
national or international law. Vonage reserves the right to terminate
your service immediately and without advance notice if Vonage, in its
sole discretion, believes that you have violated the above
restrictions, leaving you responsible for the full month's charges to
the end of the current term, including without limitation unbilled
charges, plus a disconnect fee, all of which immediately become due
and payable.  You are liable for any and all use of the Service
and/or Device by any person making use of the Service or Device
provided to you.  If Vonage, in its sole discretion believes that you
have violated the above restrictions, Vonage may forward the
objectionable material, as well as your communications with Vonage
and your personally identifiable information to the appropriate
authorities for investigation and prosecution."

This wording is overly broad.  The part I find especially disturbing
is "...may forward the objectionable material..."   Does this mean
that Vonage is recording my calls without getting legal permission to
do so?  If someone tells Vonage that they've been offended by my
repeated swearing on conference calls, does that permit Vonage to
cancel my service?  Reading this strictly, it is possible for Vonage
to argue that the purchaser of the service is the only person that
may use it, and you may not allow others to make calls on the system.

Thirdly, why people who live in countries other than the United
States shouldn't use it:

"1.3.2 Use of Service and Device by Customers Outside the United States:
While we encourage use of the Service for calls from the United
States to other countries, Vonage does not presently offer the
Service to customers located in other countries.  If you remove the
Device to a country other than the United States and use the Service
from there, you do so at your own risk, including the risk that such
activity violates local laws in the country where you do so.
Vonage reserves the right to terminate your service immediately and
without advance notice if Vonage, in its sole discretion, believes
that you have violated the above restrictions or if you use or
attempt to use the Service from any country other than the United
States, leaving you responsible for the full month's charges to the
end of the current term, including without limitation unbilled
charges, plus a disconnect fee, all of which immediately become due
and payable.  You are liable for any and all use of the Service
and/or Device by any person making use of the Service or Device
provided to you."

So, pretty much, you're shafted if you're not a US resident if Vonage
decides to shaft you, or your government tells Vonage that all
traffic originating from IP address range x.y.z.a/16 should be
refused.

There are even more stupid and useless legal stipulations embedded
into the agreement, some of which in fact are illegal, some of which
are contradictory, but I won't even get into those.  Anyone signing
something like this is either very desperate and is willing to trade
quite a few of their rights in exchange for cheap long distance, or
has not actually read the contract.  Granted, you can get your rights
back (maybe) by not paying the $49.99, but I tend to put my money
where my mouth is and I don't do business with companies that have
such broadly worded contracts.

Iconnecthere.com has some less disturbing, but similar clauses, but
their wording is much tighter and I can almost agree with it, but I'm
not going to go into other services and their legal flaws.

JT